2010/11/21

What Okinawa mean to U?

I just talked to Shusaku Higa, one of TV/Radio personality in Okinawa. And got some questions about Okinawans in Hawai'i.

 @higashusaku:Hi! Is okinawan TV/radio personality in hawaii?How do hawaian like  Okinawan event?  Such as  talk show,pop/rock live and more.

Since those are related my current research and my concern, and I know some other persons are interested in Okinawans in Hawai'i, I will try to do my best to answer these question. This is just a rough writing so far. I'll write series of further reports!!

1.Okinawan TV/Radio personality in Hawai'i?
 It depends who do you means "Okinawan". In Hawai'i, there are tens of dozens of "Okinawans".
Some of them are descendants of immigrants, from 1st generation to 4th or 5th generation. There also be people from Okinawa recently, or people born/raised in Okinawa somehow. They could be a student like me or lots of scholars and who are working. You can easily find Okinawan name such as "Higa", "Oshiro", "Arakaki","Ige" and so on, but it's hard to tell they are local or not. The funny thing is there is also 3rd category "Okinawan at Heart" who people doesn't have any Okinawan ancestor, but involved in Okinawan community(-ies).

I know one person named "Uyehara" belongs local radio station KZOO which is a Japanese radio station in HI. (http://www.kzoohawaii.com/jp/announcers/) I guess she is one of Okinawan descendant.
There was used to be some Okinawan radio programs at 1960s and 70s, but I guess there's no more.

Then, in case of TV, I'm not sure if there are any Okinawan personalities. Even if there are, it doesn't equal to they are appealing as an Okinawan, or having a program something treats Okinawan issue.



2.How do Hawai'ian people like Okinawan event? (Such as talk show, pop/rock live and so on.)
 Well, the biggest Okinawan event here is Okinawan festival (click to jump my post about the festival), we have a lot of cultural show such as Ryu-bu and Eisa on the stage, also one can enjoy Andagi, Okinawa soba, Tebichi on the food stall.
Here in Hawai'i, as far as I've seen, "Okinawa" usually symbolized as "Okinawan Culture", that is more traditional thing (not as you imagine what "Okinawan" pop/rock music). I could say same thing for other local people here who is not "Okinawan".

Some of performances are mixture with Hawai'ian, American and also Japanese culture. You can see  they are dancing Eisa with Hip-Hop music, Hula with "Nada-sousou" (sang in Hawai'ian!), dancing Bon-dance with Okinawan songs! It can be a kind of "pop"!
 There are also some other chances to see performer from Okinawa, we had Miyagi Mamoru as a guest of the festival. (I'm not sure he is sort of Rock?) Yet I think most of them are not pop/rock but more traditional thing like Hana-warabi. Guest from Okinawa represents "Okinawan Culture" will always quite welcomed. There are a lot of young Okinawan descendants who eager to learn Okinawan culture and language. Yet it's true they are American at first, also there are people thinks they don't need to learn.

 Also, of course a lot of people are interested in current Oknawan culture. I know a high-school girl  who really loves HY! There's no difference with a girl in Okinawa:) Yet these examples are not dominant.In addition, it's true there are very considerable people about current Okinawan political, economical, and social issue! Perhaps these people are very limited that who can connect with current Okinawa. Basically what they mean "Okinawa" is "Okinawan Culture" and it's almost equal as "Traditional", which is easily symbolized.


I hope we can connect them in current Okinawa more. And also we need know each other more.
I wish I can do something in next World's Uchinanchu Taikai.

mmm...I know these explanations are not enough and I wanna/should talk more!
I'll keep writing/recording/reporting things about Okinawans in Hawai'i, and how can we connect each other. There will be good chemistry I believe!

2 件のコメント:

  1. It was interesting blog. As a nationality of Japanese, I'm really surprised at the high priority of Okinawan. They are treated specially and differently from Japanese "naichi". As you guessed, historical background plays big role for that.

    I didn't know about the mixture of Okinawan songs and dances in Hawaii. What did you think when you watched and listened to them? Are they against the mainstream of Okinawan tradition?

    返信削除
  2. I'm Okinawan by blood, but I think I'm about 25%. Back when I was a kid, I took part in many Okinawan-related activites including the Okinawan Festival and events that took place at their own building at Waipio century. These days, I don't really value myself being an Okinawan...but maybe I should. I'm glad that you have an interest in Okinawan culture. Culture and ethnic pride are important things to people. =)

    返信削除